Shane Watson says his test series success depends on fitness


Even before Australia arrived in India for the Test and ODI series, skipper Ricky Ponting made it clear that the two Tests are a stepping stone to reclaiming the No 1 ranking.
Missing several players like  Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath, who have done well in Indian conditions, Ponting will have to depend heavily on players like Shane Watson to deliver the goods.

The all-rounder,  who scored his second century of the drawn match against the Board President's XI yesterday, has performed well at the top of the order and his medium pace bowling will be a key back up to the frontline pacers. And Watson is well aware of his role and the challenges.

"Playing as an all-rounder is a huge challenge in India because of the conditions. I need to be really fit. Fitness is going to be a huge factor and no matter what, I have to be a 100 per cent throughout the tour," Watson said.

Watson, was asked to open in the middle of the Ashes series last year and though he's not a regular opener, he took up the challenge and scored seven fifties and a century in his first eight Tests. 

Little wonder then that Ponting backs him to the hilt.

"Ricky has been of great help to me. He's been telling me since some time about the ways I can cope with the weather here. He has used me in a very intelligent way in the past two years and I am confident of doing well with bat and ball here," said Watson.

Having failed as an opener for his state side Queensland, facing the new ball in Test matches was a big challenge for the 29-year-old.  

But having overcome stress fractures in his back, troubles with his hip, calf and hamstring as well as a dislocated shoulder among other injuries to revive his international career, Watson is used to raising the bar.

"To take on the best bowlers in the world is a big challenge and I love it. Opening the batting has been a phenomenal experience and I am enjoying every moment of it," he said.

"The biggest challenge has been to adapt to the different formats. Batting in Tests is very different and the most challenging. But I don't think I have any mental problems while adjusting to Tests, one-dayers or T20. I know my duty is to give the team a good start," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment